Slate Asset Management Announces Partner and Managing Director Promotions
Tuesday, December 20, 2022
“We are very pleased to recognize our newest Partner and Managing Directors, all of whom have consistently demonstrated the highest degree of leadership and played an integral role in advancing our firm’s culture, growth, and success,” said Brady Welch, Founding Partner at Slate.
Blair Welch, Founding Partner at Slate, added: “The talent, experience, and dedication these individuals contribute to our firm are helping us position our business for the future, to ensure we can continue building healthy and resilient communities, cultivating new talent, and providing the highest level of service to our clients and partners.”
Partners and Managing Directors:
• Jerry Cain, Partner – Jerry joined Slate in 2020 and brings over 15 years of experience in capital raising and distribution to the firm’s investor relations function. Under Jerry’s leadership, Slate has significantly grown and diversified its global institutional investor base, and the firm’s internal Capital Raising & Investor Relations team has expanded globally, spanning a range of roles and functions. Prior to joining Slate, Jerry supported the firm’s capital raising efforts in an advisory role, first as a Director in the Private Capital Advisory Group at Lazard Freres and subsequently as Managing Director and Head of Funds Advisory – Americas at JLL. Previously, Jerry directed fundraising efforts for North American and European real estate funds while at Harbert Management Corporation. Jerry holds a bachelor’s degree from Roanoke College and a Master of Business Administration degree from Northeastern University.
• Brendan Shanahan, Managing Director – Brendan joined Slate in 2021 and oversees the firm’s debt investment origination and execution in the Midwest and Western regions of the US. Brendan has played a key role in operationalizing Slate’s US debt platform, Slate Real Estate Capital (SREC), growing and developing Slate’s debt team, and helping to close over $500 million of new financings in 2022. Prior to joining Slate, Brendan led commercial real estate originations across the Midwest for Annaly Capital Management and previously served on the investments team for Pacific Coast Capital Partners in San Francisco. Brendan holds a Master of Business Administration degree from the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley and a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from Columbia University.
• Connor O’Brien, Managing Director – Connor joined Slate in 2012 and is responsible for overseeing the origination and execution of acquisitions and dispositions across the US. Connor has extensive real estate investment experience throughout North America and Europe and has held various investment and asset management roles during his tenure at Slate. In 2016, Connor transferred to Germany to open the firm’s Frankfurt office, which established Slate’s business in Europe. Most recently, Connor has played a key role in scaling Slate’s US platform and supporting the growth of the US team from Chicago. He has also helped establish Slate’s college recruitment program, which in 2022, welcomed 16 new analysts across 5 countries. Connor holds an Honours Business Administration degree from the Richard Ivey Business School at Western University.
• Katie Fong, Managing Director – Katie joined Slate in 2014 and quickly became instrumental to the success of Slate’s Institutional Separate Accounts, significantly advancing the firm’s placemaking and revitalization project at Yonge + St. Clair in Toronto. In 2021, Katie took over leadership of Slate’s Canadian Private Real Estate team and has expertly led Slate’s private funds business in Canada. Katie has also been critical in many of Slate’s firmwide talent recruitment and retention efforts, helping to create and oversee Slate’s Analyst Rotation Program and facilitating teambuilding and training opportunities for Slate’s Analysts and Associates. Prior to joining Slate, Katie worked at RealNet in commercial research. She holds an Honours Business Administration degree from the Ivey Business School at Western University.
• Marc-André Flageole, Managing Director, Public Markets & Head of Presima – Marc-André joined Slate in 2022 as Global Portfolio Manager & Head of Investments for Presima, Slate’s boutique asset manager focused on global real estate securities. Marc-André expertly covers public real estate markets, in addition to overseeing the team’s investment decision-making and portfolio construction process for Presima’s global strategies. Marc-André has also played an instrumental role in the successful integration of the Presima team into the Slate platform. He previously worked as a risk manager at the Caisse de dépot et de placement du Québec, where he analyzed both market and non-market risks of alternative investments. He holds a Master of Finance and a Bachelor of Business Administration from HEC Montreal, is FRM certified, and a CFA® charter holder.
• Molly Mahoney, Managing Director – Molly joined Slate in 2020, bringing over 13 years of experience in capital raising and marketing alternative products and services to the firm’s investor relations function. Molly has played a critical role in the growth and success of Slate’s capital raising team, as well as the growth of Slate’s diversified global investor base. She has also been instrumental in spearheading a number of diversity and inclusion initiatives within the firm, serving as co-head of Slate’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee and Chair of Slate’s EmpoWRE Event Series, which gives the women at Slate and across the real estate industry a platform to network, connect, and share ideas. Prior to joining Slate, Molly served as Managing Director on the Funds Advisory team at JLL where she advised Slate on their capital raising efforts. Molly graduated from the University of Pennsylvania magna cum laud.
About Slate Asset Management
Slate Asset Management is a global alternative investment platform targeting real assets. We focus on fundamentals with the objective of creating long-term value for our investors and partners. Slate’s platform has a range of real estate and infrastructure investment strategies, including opportunistic, value add, core plus and debt investments. We are supported by exceptional people and flexible capital, which enable us to originate and execute on a wide range of compelling investment opportunities. Visit slateam.com to learn more.
Slate Asset Management